[Chicago-talk] FreeBSD. Ports collection vs CPAN?

Imran Javaid ijavaid at usa.net
Wed Jan 4 11:41:30 PST 2006

I find the ports useful only when the target server will not have gcc or other
development compilers installed. I had some production servers where I was not
allowed to install gcc and the modules needed required a compile. In that case
the pre-built port (or in that case RPM's) came in handy. Otherwise, CPAN
should be the way to go as you will get the most recent version of the
module.

-imran