[Chicago-talk] FreeBSD. Ports collection vs CPAN?

Jason A. Crome perl at cromedome.net
Wed Jan 4 11:13:27 PST 2006

Personally, for the modules I work with, I find that the ports
collection either doesn't have what I am looking for, or the version
that they have available always lags behind the most current in
CPAN.  You can't go wrong by continuing to install modules directly
from CPAN.

The ports are however useful when you have something else you like to
install in ports that relies on something you don't have installed.
The needed module just gets installed, and you don't even have to
think about it.

Good luck, and have a blast.  FreeBSD is a great OS.
-- Jason