[Chicago-talk] Regular meetings start again in January

brian d foy brian.d.foy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 12:45:39 PST 2006

On 12/15/06, JT Smith <jt at plainblack.com> wrote:
> I think the point that you guys might all be missing is at least Andy is
> doing SOMETHING. Though I moved away many months ago, I keep up with the
> list, and you all have had plenty of opportunity to get something going
> downtown. And to this point is has been hit or miss at best. Andy has
> arranged for a permanent monthly meeting location. Give him some props.

Well, to be honest, it fell into Andy's lap, and it's the same thing
that we've had for years at Uniforum. It's just changing from Debi to
Andy. It's great that he's taking over, but it isn't something new,
and it isn't something for "props". I'm not sure why he didn't just
say that instead of being coy.

Nola has also been hosting a mostly regular lunch thing downtown, so
the "doing SOMETHING" comment is out of line. Josh has hosted some
stuff at Performics, so he is doing something too. There are a lot of
people doing stuff. Doing something new in Chicago isn't a put-down to
anything anyone else is doing, but that's what controls the discussion
whenever we talk about it.

There are two different groups of people, and we're forcing them to
operate under the same name, use the same mailing lists, the same
website, and so on. These two groups don't have to have exclusive
membership, but I think it's easier to let them operate separately.
That doesn't detract from what's happening now. Indeed, Manhattan has
two groups operating in the same borough, and they are both doing
pretty good.

I'd like to see the name "Chicago.pm" come back to Chicago, and the
thriving extra-Chicago group in a name the describes them. If that's
going to hurt people's feelings though, I'll choose some other name to
describe the group in Chicago, noting that Chicago.pm doesn't meet in
Chicago anymore.

--
brian d foy <brian.d.foy at gmail.com>
http://www.pair.com/~comdog/