[Chicago-talk] Permission?

Richard Reina richard at rushlogistics.com
Sat Dec 16 10:58:47 PST 2006

Andrew,

 Thank you very much for the reply.  I was hoping not to have to change the permissions on the directory, but I guess I will have to.  Thanks for the insight.

 Richard

Andrew Rodland <arodland at comcast.net> wrote: On Saturday 16 December 2006 12:35 pm, Richard Reina wrote:
> Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
>   When I execute:
>

>  $: perl -ni.bak -e 'print unless 1..1' my_log.txt'
>
>  I get:
>
>  can't rename my_log.txt to my_log.txt.bak: Permission denied, skipping
> file.
>
>  However, the permissions for my_log.txt and my_log.txt.bak are:
>
>  -rwxrwxrwx root root

The permission on the file doesn't matter, you need write permission on the
directory that it's in.

Andrew

Your beliefs become your thoughts.  Your thoughts become your words.  Your words become your actions.  Your actions become your habits.  Your habits become your values.  Your values become your destiny.  -- Mahatma Gandhi