[Chicago-talk] Permission?

Richard Reina richard at rushlogistics.com
Sat Dec 16 10:35:03 PST 2006

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
  When I execute:

 $: perl -ni.bak -e 'print unless 1..1' my_log.txt'

 I get:

 can't rename my_log.txt to my_log.txt.bak: Permission denied, skipping file.

 However, the permissions for my_log.txt and my_log.txt.bak are:

 -rwxrwxrwx root root

 As you might expect, if run the command as root it works.  Is there a way to modify it so it works without changing the file ownership?

 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 Richard

Your beliefs become your thoughts.  Your thoughts become your words.  Your words become your actions.  Your actions become your habits.  Your habits become your values.  Your values become your destiny.  -- Mahatma Gandhi