[Chicago-talk] Malformed UTF-8 character

Joshua McAdams joshua.mcadams at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 15:47:29 PST 2006

> I've got data w/ a  x91 and x92 chars in it (which must be Excel curling
> quotes) and trying to parse it I get a lot of:
> Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0x91, with no
> preceding start byte) in pattern match (m//) at
> /opt/util/check_doc_table.pl line 155, <> line 1.

Looks like you might be coming up against windows-1252 and perl is
thinking its Unicode.  Try seeing if the utf8 flag is set using the
Encode module.  If it is, you might consider turning off the utf8 flag
and [d]encoding to the proper format for your work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1252
http://search.cpan.org/~dankogai/Encode-2.18/Encode.pm