[Chicago-talk] Script creates bad file when not run as root

Jim Jacobus JJacobus at PonyX.com
Thu Dec 14 13:27:51 PST 2006

Thanks to all for you for your comments and suggestions. You helped
us resolve the problem. Ended up our system had been hacked. The bad
binary files my Perl script was creating were a symptom. When the
Perl's i/o subsystem creates a binary file, it buffers it in the
Linux /tmp directory. /tmp is a really a virtual disk used as a
scratch area. Because of the hack /tmp was 100% full. When perl's i/o
subsystem creates a text file, it just opens it in the desired
location as you'd expect. The perplexing part is that when you run as
Root, the Perl I/o does not buffer in /tmp. I think it uses the local
directory. This is the reason script ran as root, but not as a user.
It was failing because /tmp was filled.
Our hacker had only managed to damage us and not compromise the
operating system. By the way, if you are looking for an excellent
company for managed hosting, take a look at Rackspace.com . Their
"fanatical" support is the real deal.