[Chicago-talk] Is this a doable place to go to?

Brad Doty bdoty at efs-us.com
Wed Apr 19 09:20:21 PDT 2006

Steve Peters:

Just catching up on the Perl mail while I was away and I had an
additional thought for you.  I believe Belmont and Damon is a half-mile
north of the epicenter of the popular, formerly edgy Wicker Park
neighborhood that includes the Double Door.

As a suburbanite who works downtown and doesn't go out anymore, I'd take
the el to Belmont and then a cab ($5-10 fare) over to Beat Kitchen.
Then if I felt up for a 1-mile walk, I'd hike back to the el.  I think
you'll find Off-Loop stage theaters, bars and eclectic shops along
Belmont.  Things have probably changed a lot in the last 5 years, but
I'm sure you'll have a good time.

The additional thought is this.  If you're staying at IIT, it is (at
least used to be) in a pretty bad part of town that's empty at night.
Maybe that's changed, too, but if it looks iffy to you, I'd take the el
back to the Loop, get off at one of the President streets between
Washington and Jackson and hail a cab down to IIT.  Cabs are plentiful
in the Loop, River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Wicker
Park, and maybe Printer's Row (South Loop which is north of IIT).  I
doubt you can find one around IIT without calling.  Of course there are
buses, but I never quite figured out the bus system myself.

Chicago's a great town, particularly on the north side.  Relax and have
fun!

Brad Doty