[Chicago-talk] Fw: [ANNOUNCE] first release of PerlWar (and request for beta testers)

Andy_Bach@wiwb.uscourts.gov Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
Sun Oct 16 20:34:50 PDT 2005

----- Forwarded by Andy Bach at WIWB.USCOURTS.gov on 10/16/2005 10:38 PM
-----

Yanick Champoux <yanick at babyl.dyndns.org>
10/16/2005 09:16 PM

golf at perl.org
cc

Subject
[ANNOUNCE] first release of PerlWar (and request for beta testers)

After way too long in the making, I am proud to announce that a first beta
of
Perlwar is finally available to the public.

 "Glad to hear that. But what is PerlWar?"

PerlWar is loosely inspired by the classic Corewar game. In this game,
players
pit snippets of Perl code (called 'agents') against each other in order to

gain control of the vicious virtual battlefield known as the Array. The
final
result is a Matrix-themed game mixing the cunning strategy of chess with
the
mad h4x0r skills of hardcore Perl scripting. Or so this author hopes.

 "Sounds intringuing. Can you give us details?"

Gladly. The rules of the games are available at
http://babyl.dyndns.org/perlwar/wiki/PerlWarRules

 "My interest's piqued. Is there any ongoing games I can peek at / join?"

An alpha-testing game is available at http://babyl.dyndns.org/pw/beta/. If

this announcement generate some interest and beta testers boldly
volunteer, I
plan to have a beta game running by the end of this week.

 "Just for the giggles, can we look at the game engine's code?"

The module should hit a CPAN near you anytime soon. Be warned, though,
that
this is release 0.01 of the module, and that the code ain't too pretty
yet.
So gaze at it at your own eyeballs' risk.

Joy,
`/anick