[Chicago-talk] h2xs & subversion equal looong paths

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Wed May 25 05:56:18 PDT 2005

> Comments:
>
> 1.  I now keep tmp/tmp/branches tags trunk around permanently.  When I
> start a new project, I cd to tmp/tmp/trunk, delete its contents, use
> 'modulemaker' (where you would use 'h2xs') and thereby create the
> structure I need.  But I do *no* work there.  It's simply a location
> for the initial import into the repository.
>
> 2.  All work on a project is done underneath ~/work.	If you follow the
> model above, ~/work/newmod is the working directory for the 'newmod'
> project, i.e., the place from which commits are made.
>
> 3.  Now, granted that the current preferred CPAN style is for .pm files
> to be located beneath a lib directory, that does mean that to edit such
> a file from the project's working directory, you'll have to say
> something like:
>
>      vi lib/Finance/Quote/CBOE.pm
>
> But that's due to current Perl practice and has nothing to do with
> Subversion.
>
> 4.  Assuming my instructions to myself are correct, I think it's the
> 'trunk' directory in
> ~/sandbox/Finance-Quote-CBOE/trunk/lib/Finance/Quote
> that you could have avoided.
>
> HTH
>
> jimk

I think the main difference is you are checking out the specific
location,  ie: project/trunk, whereas I have been checking out my whole
repository (since it's all stuff I'm working on).  Which means I get the
trunk,branches,tags directories

The stuff about the skeleton structure is fine, but it's also not too
hard to build it on an as needed basis.

Thanks
Jay