[Chicago-talk] faster -h

Leland Johnson easyasy2k at gmail.com
Sat May 7 13:03:36 PDT 2005

SVK changed from using pperl (mod_perl for command line) to using perl
5.8.6's autouse. It looks like it works back to 5.003_90, but I can't
find any other mentions of it. It's somewhat odd to use, but works
quite well for SVK. You also might want to check out Class::Autouse if
you're using classes.

On 5/7/05, Whitney Jackson <whjackson at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I have this Perl program that uses some hefty modules and as a result
> it takes a second or two just to get going.  Most of the time I don't
> care because it's relatively long running and the loading time isn't
> noticeable.  However, it's annoying to have to wait when I just want
> usage information.  So I'm wondering if there's some way to do the
> GetOptions stuff up front and then avoid the "use SuchAndSuch;" when I
> find a -h or usage violation.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Just to make things a bit more concrete:
>
> $ ./pctrl -h
>
> with all the modules:          2.105 seconds
> with a minimal set of modules: 0.318 seconds
>
> Whitney

Leland Johnson
http://protoplasmic.org