[Chicago-talk] Design Question

Richard Reina richard at rushlogistics.com
Fri May 6 09:04:44 PDT 2005

Whenever a phone call comes into my PBX/server a perl
script is executed that checks the incoming call's
phone number against a MySQL table to see if it's a
known number. If it's a know number an entry is made
into a table called matched_nos.

On my workstations (or atleast on a couple of them so
far) I have written a script that constantly --
via a while loop -- queries the matched_nos table
that's on the local DB server to see if there is a new
entry (one that it has not seen) to be acted on?  It's
currently running on 2 workstations in the office but
I plan to have it running on 10 eventually.  Will
having 10 machines constantly querying the database
server
several times per second damage the server?  What is a
safe level of activity?  Does anyone know of a more
efficient way of designing such a program?

Thanks for your attention.

Richard

=====
A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
 -Dwight D. Eisenhower.