[Chicago-talk] What exactly is a "Application Framework"

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Tue Mar 29 06:00:05 PST 2005

Hi,

The Basset thread obviously prompted this.  Jim mentioned Basset gets
compared with CDBI a lot, but I wouldn't call CDBI a application
framework.  TT and Mason I'd call templating engines, good a generating
forms (web or paper) based on variables and input.  Maypole too, I've
been lurking on that mailing group, seems like a 2nd generation
templating system (that is it does a lot of the grunt generation based
on some setup stuff, to produce web pages)

what is the litmus test for something to be a application framework?

Thanks
Jay