[Chicago-talk] perl tests with overhead

Edward Summers ehs at pobox.com
Tue Jul 26 20:09:05 PDT 2005

> Anybody else got any tips before I get too far?

One thing I really like about xUnit [1] style tests is the ability to
define a setUp() method that creates an environment for each test to
take place in. In addition your test classes can use inheritance:  so
you could define a top level SessionTest for your other test classes
to inherit from. It's unfortunate that Test::Unit appears to have a
bad rating on CPAN due to installation problems.

Thanks to brian's blog I read an interview w/ Ian Longworth [1] who
wrote a new book "Perl Testing a Developer's Notebook". Perhaps there
are some hints in there about doing this sort of thing? He mentions a
new module called Test::Base which provides a new testing idiom that
might be worth taking a look at.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unit_testing_frameworks
[1] http://www.theperlreview.com/Interviews/ian-ptdn-20050712.html

//Ed