[Chicago-talk] CRON Jobs for the paranoid

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Sun Feb 13 16:31:43 PST 2005

-- Richard Reina <richard at rushlogistics.com>

> Due to lack of trust my office network is not hooked
> up to the internet.  This means I (if I remeber)
> manually set the time on ntp server once per week so
> that the other computers can get the correct time.  I
> am cosidering writing a short perl script that when
> executed askes me for the time and resets the time on
> the ntp server.  However, if I have cron execute the
> script how can interrupt (get my attention) whatever I
> am doing when I am logged in.
>
> Any suggestions are appreceiated.

Nothing to do with perl whatever but...

PPP Over modem with autodial & no pickup on ring: the
only connections you can make are outbound.

For not too much money these days you can pick up one
of the GPS units that will set the local time from
the radio standards (no network in involved).

You're probably going overboard with NTP. Use adjtimex
and your wristwatch once a month and it'll proably
work out fine.

--
Steven Lembark                                       85-09 90th Street
Workhorse Computing                                Woodhaven, NY 11421