[Chicago-talk] Script design question

Leland Johnson easyasy2k at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 19:17:21 PST 2005

waitpid is a very thin wrapper over the C function of the same name
that can do quite a lot. Check out `man 2 waitpid` on your system.

Here's some example code with waitpid(-1, 0) semantics. waitpid(-1,
0) will hang until any child has terminated (returns that child's
pid) or there are no more children to wait for (returns -1).

I use fork() and exec() here instead of system() or qx// so I can
tell the processes apart with the pid that fork() returns.

I think this would be the simplest way to solve your problem, but it
has the disadvantage of looking a lot like C code.

#!perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use POSIX ":sys_wait_h"; # Not sure if you need this.

my ($pid1, $pid2);

if( ($pid1 = fork()) == 0 ) {
     sleep 10;
     print "child 1\n";
     exit 69;
}

if( ($pid2 = fork()) == 0 ) {
     print "child 2 execs `date`\n";
     exec("date") or die "error executing `date`!\n";
     # exec never returns on success
}

my $kid;
# Blocking waitpid.
while( ($kid = waitpid(-1, 0)) != -1 ) {
     my $status = $? / 256;
     if ( $kid == $pid1 ) {
         print "Child 1 exited with status $status\n";
     }
     elsif ( $kid == $pid2 ) {
         print "Child 2 exited with status $status\n";
     }
     else {
         die "Got unexpected child pid. Shouldn't happen.\n";
     }
}
print "No more children.\n";

__END__