[Chicago-talk] Broken Pipe

Young, Darren Darren.Young at ChicagoGSB.edu
Mon Dec 12 14:17:52 PST 2005

> Although it is remotely possible, I have never heard of an
> implicit timeout
> on reading (whether from a pipe or anything else). Can you
> verify that the
> child process is not exiting abnormally? Can you provide some
> more detail on
> the commands you are running and the type of output you are expecting?

When run manually, the process works and unless the -v is added, there's
no output. This one is part of the iPlanet message server that among
other things, cleans out messages that have been flagged as deleted.

All I'm expecting back at the moment is a 0 or 1.

> Open3 would be necessary if you want to capture the out and
> err streams
> separately. This might help if your child process is printing
> error messages
> that you are unaware of.

I'm wondering if there might be something there I'm missing as well,
perhaps adding open3 would give some insight.