[Chicago-talk] laptop, which brand is good.

Imran Javaid ijavaid at usa.net
Fri Dec 2 08:09:13 PST 2005

When it comes to brands, there are several decent (mail-order) brands to
choose from (Dell, IBM, Panasonic). Mail-order works better. You get better
selection through customization. I would stay away from brick and mortar
stores since those are consumer oriented mostly.

Make sure the warranty is a good one, unless you are good at repairing
laptops. Which laptop to go with depends on your preferences: screen size,
performance, weight, style.

Personally, I've been using Sony laptop with a 16" screen. I just like working
in 1600x1200 res. Do not go with anything less than 512MB RAM. Windows sure
becomes slow over time, and the extra memory helps.

When connecting to a linux desktop, use Cygwin (and Cygwin-X). Its not too
hard to get it working if you follow the instructions. You can run your
X-windows apps from your laptop easily with that.

Imran