[Chicago-talk] Sitting here at OSCon...

Wiggins d Anconia wiggins at danconia.org
Fri Jul 30 15:11:06 CDT 2004

> I've been talking to several people about conferences this week, esp
> YAPC.  The thought crossed my mind to put together a bid for
> YAPC::NA::2005; but the dead-line is in one month and I thought that
> was too short a time span.  Jim Brandt, the fellow that organized
> YAPC::NA::2004 in Buffalo, told me that we could do the proposal in
> one month.  I talked to a few other people about this and learned that
> Toronto really wants to host 2005.
>
> So, what do I think?  I think it may be possible to put a bid together
> in one month to host YAPC in Chicago for 2005.  In transportation we
> win, O'Hare and Midway.  In activities we win, Sox, Fire, and even the
> cubs.  For a venue, I was thinking IIT.  They have the dorms open in
> the summer, several halls for use.  One of our members will be a
> student there, and I'm alumna as is my wife and several of my close
> friends.  It's only 10 minutes from downtown by el or bus, right off
> the interstate, a mile from the lake.
>
> Anyone one else think we can do it?

I think you can, and would love for it to happen. I don't get a lot of
chance to attend conferences, et al. and the midwest could use a bit of
Open Source exposure (I am in Indianapolis and there is very little),
with OSCON in Chicago I could probably make it for once and was trying
to come up with a way to make 2005, anyways.

I say go for it, though I can't really put up, so I will now shut up.

http://danconia.org