[Chicago-talk] CPAN on windows?

Mike Fragassi frag at ripco.com
Fri Jul 23 15:40:15 CDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Your Name wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I can't post to the group from this machine (maybe you can pass it
> along).  But I installed "unxutils" from unxutils.sourceforge.com
>
> I'm just trying to get cpan to work.  so I did:
>
> cpan> install Bundle::CPAN
> CPAN: Storable loaded ok
> Going to read \.cpan\Metadata

I haven't used unxutils, but I suspect that first you're going to need
to edit CPAN\Config.pm to point to these installed utilities.  Include
double-quotes around the app names if the path contains spaces.

Also, with ActiveState, you can't use CPAN to install any modules that
contain C code, unless you have MS Visual C.  Updating Bundle::CPAN may
not be a good idea; I don't know off-hand if one of its modules uses XS.
Test CPAN on a small, Perl-only module like Acme::Bleach.

The messages about subroutines being redefined are warnings, and not
errors; in the past, I've gotten CPAN to work despite these messages.

You also may need to edit Perl\lib\Config.pm's 'make=' line; by default
its set to 'nmake'; I know that I had to change it to 'make' when I used
the Perl Power Tools' make version 'pmake'.  (Perl Power Tools is like
unxutils, but it's all in Perl; it used to be at
http://language.perl.com/ppt/ but O'Reilly seems to have taken that page
down.  Does anyone know where PPT went to?  pmake by itself is at
http://search.cpan.org/~ni-s/Make-1.00/).

-- Mike F.