[Chicago-talk] Best perl editor on Linux?

Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
Tue Jan 27 14:51:34 CST 2004

I think the stock vi point was - if the box is crashed etc. the static
linked 'vi' might be all you have (or worse, 'ed') so *not* knowing 'real'
vi could be trouble.  Akin to the reason *not* to make /usr/bin/ksh root's
shell in /etc/passwd.

I use vim on a daily basis, even on  winx, but mostly as slightly snazzier
vi; syntax highlighting, auto-syntax check (easily my favorite feature),
folding etc.  I struggle w/ other parts every day (autoindent) and go back
and forth on others (ignorecase in searches?).  But I think of as w/
typing 'dir' on *nix and 'ls' on winx; just my brain's too small.

Andy Bach, Sys. Mangler
Internet: andy_bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
VOICE: (608) 261-5738  FAX 264-5030

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so
ingenious.