[Chicago-talk] Best perl editor on Linux?

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Tue Jan 27 00:46:16 CST 2004

> Yikes, to me that is the best improvement possible...to each their own,
> but Vim does come with vi compatibility mode, and most of the individual
> options can be handled separately... from the Vim docs:

I've spent too much time switching between vi on
Solaris, SunOS, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, BSD, and IRIX
as su on damaged systems. Predictability -- as in
leavig the original vi syntax alone -- becomes
rather useful hacking files in single-user mode.

It's also a nice thing if you have to walk into a
site that doesn't have vim and start work. At least
with vile the "stock" vi commands still live in my
muscle memory. I may get frustrated with the lack
of some vile commands but at least won't fry myself
typing incorrect working commands (get more than a
few beeps though :-).

                                            +1 888 359 3508