[Chicago-talk] Newbie problem: Cannot get Hello World to run!

Sachin Karol skarol1 at uic.edu
Sun Jan 18 21:54:58 CST 2004

Hello,
      Hope the Perl gurus can help me with a typical newbie
(I think!!) problem.

After many hassles, I managed to load Suse 9 on my laptop.
I am now trying to learn Perl and am using the famed " Learning
Perl" from OReilly.

This is what my problem is:

I am trying to run the basic Hello World problem :-

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
print ("Hello, world!\n");

I tried to save this into a file named Hello, ran chmod +x on
it and then typed Hello at the prompt. This is my output :-

bash: Hello: command not found

Then I tried using the following command :-

perl Hello

This is the output :-

print (...) interpreted as function at Hello line 2.
Hello, world!

and if I remove the first line and then run 'perl Hello', I am able
to run the program properly.

What am I doing wrong? I thought that by including the path with
the '#!' as the first line of the program would not require me to
write perl at the command line. Is there something I am missing?
Running 'whereis perl' gives me:-

perl: /usr/bin/perl /usr/share/man/man1/perl.1.gz

Please advice

Thanks
Sachin Karol