[Chicago-talk] "I don't have permission toinstallamoduleonthesystem!"

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Sat Jan 3 14:14:10 CST 2004

>> ~/sandbox/lib in it and just use FindBin::libs.

> Eureka.
>
> <wipes blood from ear>

The POD has some examples of how to set this up.

Simplest:

	$ cd;
	$ mkdir sandbox; # or symlink your workspace
	$ cd sandbox;
	$ mkdir lib;
	$ cvs -d$wherever co $project;

At this point you have ~/sandbox/project and ~/sandbox/lib.

>From then on use all of the PREFIX tricks with the prefix
set to q{~/sandbox}. The installer will do the rest :-)

If you get the SA's to install FindBin::libs in the distro's
lib directory, e.g.

	/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.2/FindBin/libs.pm

then you can just:

	use FindBin::libs;

in your code and be done with it. The module will search
up $Bin for "lib" directories. If your code lives in
~/sandbox/project/bin it'll use ./sandbox/project/lib
then ./sandbox/lib. If you are working with other people
you can share your ./sandbox/lib dir's via a symlink and
use project dir's for the lib branches -- all without the
SA's touching anything else in the distro's lib directory.

enjoi

                                            +1 888 359 3508