[Chicago-talk] a bookmarklet

Jim Thomason jthomasoniii at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 09:56:31 CST 2004

I don't know about you guys, but I tend to ignore the
messages as they come in. I prefer to read 'em on the
web. But I don't want to switch to the archive, since
it's tougher to reply and have some semblance of
thread continuity.

Not to worry, I just have a link in my browser
bookmark bar to zip over to the monthly archives. Of
course, this is mildly annoying when we switch to a
new month and I need a new bookmark. Most annoying.

So, to save myself that recurring 15 seconds of work,
I instead invested time in a javascript bookmarklet to
do it instead. You can grab it at:

http://www.jimandkoka.com/chicago.pm.html

If you're interested, follow the url, and then drag
the  "Chicago.pm archives" link to your browser
toolbar. Do not drag the link to jimandkoka.com
itself, drag the Chicago.pm archives link. I didn't
want to stick the actual javascript here for fear of
it getting hosed by being emailed.

And voila. Instant updating access to the current
month's thread archives. I know it works under OS X
(Safari, IE, Camino), and it should work fine
elsewhere, I just haven't tested it on those
platforms. Due to lack of access to said platforms.

Naturally, having invested the time to write the
javascript, I expect to see this functionality
incorporated into something server side within
nanoseconds, but I'll bask in the glory of the
accomplishment while it lasts.

-Jim....