[Chicago-talk] Perl Style

Mike Fragassi frag at ripco.com
Wed Aug 18 13:42:39 CDT 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Jim Thomason wrote:

> > Not sure about Damian style, unless you mean Perl6 :-)
>
> Andy'd mentioned something at the last meeting about attending a talk
> on perl style given by Damien as OSCON. He took copious notes which he
> waved around at us and said, "You should all read these...but they're
> MINE MINE MINE!" at which point he hid them in his briefcase and ran
> out of the room, never to be seen again.

That must have been a different meeting from the one where I asked Andy
for the notes, he gave them to me, and I skimmed over them looking for
stuff I hadn't seen before.

A few of the things that caught my eye were:

* wrap filehandles in braces, e.g.:  print {$fh} "blah"x3;
* explicitly use /s in regexps by default
* recommendations to use version.pm & Perl6::Export

-- Mike F.