[Chicago-talk] (no subject)

JT Smith jt at plainblack.com
Thu Sep 25 11:14:20 CDT 2003

One of the companies I work for is sponsoring an open source software event to introduce
pointy-haired bosses to OSS. If you have a PHB, or know of any PHB's that you might like
to try to swing around to OSS, then please send them this URL:

http://www.osschicago.org

The event is free and will take place every 2 months. The first one is October 23rd. I'm
the first guest speaker. You are all welcome to attend as well, but know in advance that
the discussions will not be terribly technical, but rather focusing on the business
benefits and strategies of OSS.

Also, if you're interested in helping us convert some PHB's, go to the site and apply to
be a guest speaker.

The following is the official announcement about it:

WDI's Director of Technology, JT Smith, will be presenting at OSS Chicago on October
23rd.

The purpose of Open Source Chicago is to create open source proponents and users within
traditional IT environments. Our goal is to create an environment where professionals
can exchange information about the open source software, projects, and OSS licensing so
that IT professionals can make informed choices about the use of OSS within their
organization.

JT will be giving the inaugural presentation titled "An Introduction to Open Source". JT
will be covering a brief history of open source, common myths, licensing, where OSS fits
in business, and some software to get started with.

Refreshments will be provided, as well as time for Q&A, discussion, and networking.

Please note that OSS Chicago is not a technology users group. It was created to inform
managers and business users about the business benefits of open source software. Techies
are welcome, but the discussion will remain business focused.

If you are in the Chicago Land area, and are interested in learning more about open
source, please check out OSS Chicago.