[Chicago-talk] using a regex in a variable

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Fri Oct 24 09:25:50 CDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 09:16:23AM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Because I need to be able to dynamically use a different regex (which I look
> up in my db) under different conditions

So let's say you've got this regex stored in your DB.

    s/SCO/IBM/

and you've extracted it, stored it in $regex, and you want to match it against
$string.

    eval( '$string =~ ' . $regex );

should do the trick. I was wondering if there was anything like qr// for
substitution but a quick glance in the Camel didn't turn up anything.

Just make sure they don't store this regex in your db:

    's/SCO/IBM/; unlink $0;'

:)

//Ed