[Chicago-talk] Interfacing to a Java pgm with API

Steven Lembark lembark at jeeves.wrkhors.com
Wed Oct 8 22:51:40 CDT 2003

--On Tuesday, October 07, 2003 09:11:53 -0500 Jay Strauss <me at heyjay.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have this Java application (GUI) that is written by my brokerage, it
> allows you to do all the normal stuff: quote, buy, sell, check
> positions... Additionally, they provide a Java API for communicating with
> this application, so that you can interface it with your custom systems.
> The API is just a bunch of Java classes that one wraps with their own
> logic for their own needs.
>
> I think the API talks to the application via a socket, and basically you
> configure callbacks into your code that the application calls under
> certain events.
>
> Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions what avenues I might explore
> about who to make this talk to perl?  Oh, BTW they also make a C++ API
> too.
>
> Note: I don't know Java or C++, and hardly know Perl (as I'm sure you all
> know).

If the API is socket based you can write it any language and the
other end'll never know the difference. Hack it in fortran if you
feel like it :-)

Lincon Stein's Netwrok Prog. W/ Perl would be a good place to start --
along with the socket-level interface specs.

--
Steven Lembark                                            2930 W. Palmer
Workhorse Computing                                    Chicago, IL 60647