[Chicago-talk] "I don't have permission to install a module on the system!"

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Mon Dec 15 11:13:19 CST 2003

-- Andy Lester <andy at petdance.com>

>> I Read and followed The Friendly, shiny Manual and met with limited
>> results when attempting to install modules without root. Any pointers,
>> hints or helpful riddles? Does one need root for CPAN.pm?
>
> You need to install the modules to your home directory.  Do this:
>
> perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/your/home/directory/lib
> make
> make test
> make install

That or install them into a standard sandbox area. The
main advantage to that -- aside from segregating the
floatsom of development -- is being able to share the
sandbox tree for common installs.

If everyone can agree on a place to install non-stock
modules you can use lib /common_area in all of the code;
relying on perl code with "use lib $ENV{HOME}/blah" can
be dangerous unless system has only a single user.

                                            +1 888 359 3508