[Charlotte.PM] Perl programming position in Charlotte

Dale Lancaster dale at lancaster.hm
Tue Apr 19 13:54:44 PDT 2005

Greetings all,

I hope you don't mind that I take the opportunity to ask if any of you are interested in or know of a person who can fill a Perl programming position I have pending to be filled in the next few weeks.

Contract to Hire - Full Time
Choicepoint Inc.
Ballantyne Area of Charlotte

Must be a seasoned Perl programmer familiar with Linux, Apache, MySQL (LAMP environment) and very comfortable and knowledgeable with DHTML, Javascript and CSS.  My group creates and maintains applicant screening and processing websites (HR type stuff) for several companies that do business with Choicepoint (so far all of them are Fortune 500 companies).  This is as an ASP (Application Service Provider) offering.  We have several new sites due to spin up this year and we are growing steadily.  This position, like all the other three programmers who currently work for me, will require you to work on many different tasks, technologies and websites, sometimes on the same day :-).   We have about 150k lines of legacy code spread over a dozen packages and a couple dozen Perl scripts and many dozens of html template files.  You will not be bored in this environment.  It is very important that you can efficiently read code (reverse engineer and debug) existing Perl code in order to function well in our environment. You should be self-sufficient with lots of initiative and good work ethics; we have flexible work hours with some ability to work from home occasionally (after you get up to speed on our environment).  This is not an entry level position.

We do not use OO Perl; it is more procedural in nature though we extensively use CPAN modules.  We do maintain a MVC type of architecture, we do not use MASON or anything thing similar, we have a fairly straight forward in house approach to separating code from content.  We are heavy on MySQL/DBI.  Knowing Apache intimately is not required, but is a plus, since we already have our Apache environment up and running, but you will have to be comfortable modifying environment and configuration files for Apache.  If you just happened to be really strong in operations (Linux/Apache) I would probably be willing to pay a little extra.

A college degree is not required, but you must pass a drug and criminal background check and probably take a Brainbench Perl test.

If you are seriously interested or know of someone, please contact me directly day or night, my cell phone or email is my preferred method of contact.

Dale Lancaster

Assistant Vice-President of Technology
CPScreenSelect, Choicepoint Inc.
704.973.5615/704.953.4470 (Cell)