[CMI.PM] Web account management module?

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen at acm.org
Fri Feb 17 09:03:34 PST 2006

Mitch Kutzko <mitch at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Hi, everyone -- I need to write an online event signup script for the
> web site of a local student group here on campus.   Each user needs
> to have their own login/ID for the signups.
>
> I'm looking for a Perl solution that allows the users to manage their
> passwords themselves, with an administrator (most likely me) only
> having to approval the initial signup.  (Ie, I don't have to deal
> with the tons of "I forgot my password" requests that will inevitably
> show up with a group of 200 to 300 members.)

Uhh, can you use bluestem?  Its in Perl.  You need an SSL webserver
though (which you should have anyway if passwords are in use.)

I highly suggest that you authenticate at the web server level and NOT
at the application level.  There are several apache modules that do such
things.

<<CDC
--
Christopher D. Clausen