[Cascavel-pm] Hacking perl in nightclubs

Nelson Ferraz nferraz em gmail.com
Segunda Fevereiro 27 16:18:44 PST 2006

There is more than one way to play it! : )

I've found the experiences of dancing and programming to have a great
deal in common. With both I am immersed in an abstract world of
animated structures, building up and breaking down many times before
finally reaching a conclusion. Indeed, when the operation of even the
dullest data-munging computer program is visualized, for example in a
debugger, it does seem to be dancing around its loops and conditions
-- moving in patterns through time.

In other words, a musical score is a kind of source code, and a
musical performance is a kind of running program. When you play from a
musical score or run a program you are bringing instructions to life.

So a piece of composed music is like a Perl script, but let's not
forget improvised music. The rules behind improvised music -- for
example improvised jazz -- develop during a performance, perhaps with
little or no predefined plan. Where is the comparison with code here?
Well, how many times have you sat down to write some Perl without
first deciding exactly how you were going to structure it? Perl is
great for improvising. The question is, can you write improvised Perl
scripts on stage? This article hopes to answer this question.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/08/31/livecode.html