[Canberra-pm] how to tell if a library is available?

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Jun 17 01:11:56 PDT 2008

My problem is that I want to load and use the module if it's available
but if it's not available I want the script to fall back to other
strategies hopefully without setting off lots of warnings.

I didn't realise that the use statement is a compile time directive.
It obviously works at run time as in the eval but what exactly it does
then I'm not sure.  I think from the behaviour I'm seeing that the use
in the eval is not determined at compile time because at compile time
it's just a string.  Therefore references to variables in the library
are not linked at compile time unless a naked "use" or "require"
statement appears somewhere.

If the library isn't found then -w generates all sorts of warnings
about strange variables that haven't been declared but I like having -
w on.

I guess what I'd like are some conditional compile directives but they
don't exist.  It seems the line in perl between compile directives and
runtime commands is a bit blurry.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant