[Canberra-pm] Re: Perl6

Jeremy jepri at webone.com.au
Thu Sep 26 18:58:30 CDT 2002

>Just quickly I wanted to say 'Hi' to Perl people out there... I

Hello and welcome.

>This brings me to ask... Has anybody had concerns about Perl6?

Only that I'll die before they ship it :)  The plan is that Perl6 will be everything
to everyone, everywhere.  The way it's shaping up they just might get there.

Did you have anything specific in mind?  I can give a ra - ra summary if you're
interested:

Perl6 is meant to have the sophistication of lisp, but still be simpler than
Perl5.  It will run anywhere, on anything, and you will be able to compile almost
any language to run in the Perl6 engine (Python, Java and C# are the first targets).

There will be full support for almost all Perl5 programs, and some people are
already joking about writing in support for Perl 1,2,3 and 4.

It will get your clothes whiter than white, remind you when you leave your car's
lights on and remind you of your anniversary.