[Canberra-pm] Re: Starting meetings

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Sun Oct 27 09:02:05 CST 2002

On 2002.10.28 00:18 Iain 'Spoon' Truskett wrote:
> * Jeremy Price (jepri at webone.com.au) [27 Oct 2002 22:07]:
> > Eeek. It looks like my other mail (the one I was speaking of) didn't
> > make it off the ground. I was saying that all these topics look
> pretty
> > good, and wondering who was going to give them.
>
> Given appropriate time I could probably come up with something for the
> ones I suggested. That said, I'm usually crap at presentations =)

Well, it sounds like you've done more than I have(zero), so you'll be
fine.

> Ideally we'd find various companies, institutions and people who use
> Perl in interesting ways and get them to do some talks.

Sounds great.  Trouble is I've never worked in a perl company before.
I've always been the 'Perl guy'.  I worked at a ISP once, but the tech
manager had something religious against Perl, and scrubbed it off all
the machines.  I had to write in Bash script instead (ick!).

I hear it's pretty popular in some statistical and accountancy
companies, but I don't know of any in Canberra.

> I've a few modules on CPAN. I notice you've got a PAUSE ID but haven't
> released anything. I generally find, when writing scripts, that a lot
> of

I'm actually just preparing my first for upload to Perlmonks to be torn
apart.  My problem is I tinker in other peoples namespaces (e.g. Gtk)
so I need to get clearance before I mess with them.