[Canberra-pm] Runing commands on server.

Iain 'Spoon' Truskett iain-pm at dellah.org
Mon Dec 16 17:41:02 CST 2002

* Finn Blucher (finn at finerdetails.com.au) [17 Dec 2002 10:11]:
> not really sure where to start with this. Basically I would like
> people to be able to double click on an icon on their windows desktop
> and it executes commands on a linux server. I was thinking about a
> simple tcp client server. I'm not really worried about transmitting
> username/password in clear text, it's a very small site, but if
> encryption is easy enough to add I may as well. It's mostly needed to
> start backups manually. It probably would only need to be capable of
> running one predefined command. Any ideas, or has this all been done
> before?

One possibility would be to install putty, and have the desktop icon do
something like "putty.exe user at serverhostname command" (or similar, it's
a while since I've used Windows). They double-click, it prompts them for
a password, it runs the command on the server.

With a bit of ssh tweaking you can make it so that they can't log in to
a shell.

cheers,
--
Iain.