[Buffalo-pm] OO Perl Developers in Buffalo/Rochester area

Steven Levy slevy at gridapp.com
Thu Mar 13 13:27:21 PDT 2008

Since I know that when I die I’ll be descending down to Dante's inferno – after all, I am a recruiter and we know where recruiters belong – I have nothing to lose. But I may have some redemptive qualities because after this email I promise that I won’t be posting or generating any follow-up communication. Thank goodness for morals, right?

Still, it is possible that you and my employer – GridApp Systems - have quite a bit to gain by talking about Perl. More specifically, about creating a team of Perl developers in the Rochester area (sorry it's not Buffalo but anything is still possible). My goal is to find enough interest and come up to the area in a few weeks.

If you are an open-source fanatic and love Perl – especially OO Perl - I’d like to speak with you about how we utilize OO Perl to create a database management automation app – Clarity 4.5 - that offers a single-console view of an organization’s entire database infrastructure while enabling DBA tasks to be implemented in days thereby immediately driving value.

Even better, Clarity provides out-of-the-box automation of database provisioning and patching with a click of a button, builds an inventory of all databases and patch levels and server/database utilization, and includes built-in validation of server configurations based on industry and vendor best practices.

Clarity works across all common databases including Oracle, SQL Server, and Sybase and has native awareness of Veritas, Oracle RAC, and SQL Server cluster environments.

So...I'm looking to connect to experienced Perl developers with and without team lead experience. Heavy backend object-oriented Perl development environment in Linux/Unix (many flavors). Client side is PHP, Perl, JavaScript, SOAP, AJAX, etc.

Oldest version of Perl supported is 5.8.7 (although we might migrate to 5.10 on all supported platforms once it is burned in).

As Open Source fans, we’ve incorporated many CPAN modules:

Algorithm-C3-0.06
AppConfig-1.63
Carp-Assert-0.18
Carp-Clan-5.8
Class-Accessor-0.27
Class-Accessor-Chained-0.01
Class-C3-0.14
Class-Data-Accessor-0.03
Class-Inspector-1.16
Data-Page-2.00
DateManip-5.44
DBD-Oracle-1.18
DBD-Pg-1.49
DBD-SQLite-1.13
DBI-1.53
DBIx-Class-0.07005
Error-0.17008
File-Copy-Recursive-0.29
File-HomeDir-0.58
Filesys-DfPortable-0.85
Lchown-1.00
Log-Dispatch-2.16
Log-Dispatch-FileRotate-1.16
Log-Log4perl-1.07
Log-Log4perl-Layout-XMLLayout-0.03
Module-Build-0.2806
Module-Find-0.05
Net-Netstat-Wrapper
Net-SSH-0.08
Net-Telnet-3.03
Params-Validate-0.87
Proc-ProcessTable-0.41
SQL-Abstract-1.22
SQL-Abstract-Limit-0.12
Sub-Uplevel-0.13
Sys-Filesystem-1.22
Sys-MemInfo
Template-Toolkit-2.15
TermReadKey-2.30
Test-Exception-0.24
Test-Simple-0.64
Tie-Hash-Indexed-0.04
TimeDate-1.16
version-0.68
Want-0.12
XML-LibXML-1.63
XML-LibXML-Common-0.13
XML-LibXSLT-1.62
XML-NamespaceSupport-1.09
XML-SAX-0.14
XML-Simple-2.16
XML-Xerces-2.7.0-0

As far as coding conventions, we use PBP and peer review (use strict; and use warnings; are mandatory). Warnings are fatal (causing a die to occur). All code must compile on all supported platforms prior to commit (Linux, Solaris, Win32, HP-UX, etc.).

* Significantly skilled with Perl (C++, PHP receive bonus points)
* Solid experience in TCP/IP network and/or distributed systems programming
* Working with one or more of Oracle/DB2/Sybase/MSSQL
* Fluency in Linux and/or flavors of UNIX
* Team lead experience would be very nice to have

Simply, you have an unbridled love of Perl. Yes, it's love; our developers speak at YAPC, Frozen Perl, participate in hackathons, and even have their own software interests outside of work. All tinkerers...

We’re based in New York City (about 40 in total with a sales lead on the West Coast, Chicago, DC, and a few in the NY Metro area); shorts and t-shirts in the summer, no crazy work hours (except during releases), everyone is a tinkerer.

Email or call me if you want to discuss.

Thanks.

Steve Levy
GridApp Systems, Inc.
156 5th Avenue, PH