[Buffalo-pm] Buffalo Perl Mongers Updates

Kevin Christopher bpm at binarymojo.net
Tue Jul 22 21:05:56 CDT 2003

Items:

(1) Belated Report on Fifth Buffalo Perl Mongers Meeting
(2) Bid for YAPC 2004?
(3) Change to August 14 meeting
(4) Kevin Eye's psh
(5) TPM's Kwiki

(1) Belated Report on Fifth Buffalo Perl Mongers Meeting:

Those of you who missed the Fifth BPM Meeting on July 10, missed an
excellent evening of Perl discussion.

Kevin Eye gave an overview of the new features of Perl 6 discussed at YAPC
2003 last month. His notes (PDF) can be found at http://buffalo.pm.org. In
particular he discussed how the functions and syntax of Damian Conway's
Quantum::Superpositions module will be included into the core syntax of 6.
(Luckily, Lingua::Romana::Perligata won't be included ;) ).

Jason Parker Burlingham gave the feature presentation on his USENET
Archiving project using Class::DBI and CGI::Application. His notes for
the talk can be found on his blog at
http://www.panix.com/~jasonp/index.cgi?ClassDBI. It was an excellent
overview of an ambitious project. If any of you are working on an
archiving project or databases, you might want to talk to him for tips.

(2) Bid for YAPC 2004?

It's come up at least a couple of meetings, and the deadline (August 1)
is near. Jim Brandt and I have been discussing what we need to do to
make a bid for YAPC 2004. One thing is certain: if we do this we'll need
all the help we can get, and a significant number of us would have to be
committed the project if we actually win the bid. The Toronto Perl
Mongers are going to bid, as well as the DC Perl Mongers. I understand
from Richard Dice that Ottawa has dropped the idea. Jim is talking with
UB's Office of Special Events to see what they can offer and I'm grabbing
info on transportation, hotels, area attractions, etc. Since we will only
meet after the bid deadline, we need to open up discussion here on the
mailing list. What do think? Will you pitch into the effort if we do
this? Do you have any ideas?

(3) Change to August 14 Meeting:

Kevin Eye will not be speaking at our August 14th meeting as originally
scheduled. He is getting married on that weekend, and with all the
activities going on that week he won't have the time to spare after all
for a half dozen fellow Perl hackers (Imagine that!) ;). We'll think of
something. Given item (2) we may have a full agenda without a feature
talk.

(4) Kevin Eye's psh

A few weeks ago, Kevin Eye circulated his perl shell program based on
Perl's interactive debugger. Some of you may have noticed an odd feature;
some of you may even have recognized it as a bug: the variables you
defined on one line wouldn't survive in the next. It turns out that Kevin
had purposely included the bug: the use of the "strict" pragma. Remove
that line and it should work properly. I've attached his debugged version
to this e-mail.

(5) TPM's Kwiki

Richard Dice e-mailed me today to inform us about Toronto Perl Mongers'
nifty new Wiki Site at TPM's Kwiki (
http://to.pm.org/cgi-bin/kwiki/index.cgi?HomePage )

That's all for now. - Kevin C.

-30-30-30-