[BNE-PM] you lot have all gone quiet again? (Fwd)

Anthony Thyssen anthony at cit.gu.edu.au
Tue Sep 17 03:00:46 CDT 2002

------- Forwarded Message

From:    Anthony Thyssen <anthony at wumpus.cit.gu.edu.au>
To:      "David Bussenschutt" <d.bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au>
Subject: Re: [BNE-PM] you lot have all gone quiet again?
Date:    Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:00:19 +1000

"David Bussenschutt" on  wrote...
| Is it just me... or have you lot out there on this list all gone quiet
| again.    We'll be having none of that!.
|
| Ok, here's my challenge to you all:   I want one-liners.    useful,
| useless, fun,necessary,unique,quirky, whatever I don't care.    Let's see
| what interesting one-liner perl programs you lot have come up with.
| Send-em to the list, and we'll all become a little wiser as a result.
|
| here's one from one of my co-workers to get us started.... can you tell me
| exactly what it does?  (without running it)
| perl -le 'for(1..100){print}' | column                       # ( the
| column command is probably a linux only command)
|
| ...and how is the above one different from something like this....?
| perl -le 'for(1..100){print}' | pr -7 -t -l20

As the co-worker... How about this perl chalange...

Write a print one-linter that can take the place of either
the "column" or "pr" command above :-)

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
   No one ever listens to Zatheris. "Quite Mad!", thay say. It is good
   the Zatheris does not mind.  He has even grown to like it.  Oh yes!
                    -- Zatheris's Mumbling,  Bablyon 5, ``War Without End''