[Boulder.pm] Multi-process caching

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Mon Apr 5 16:31:27 PDT 2010

We are having some performance issues for some of our larger apps.  We
have a Postgres table (Bivio::Biz::Model::RealmRole) which needs to
get access frequently, and is written relatively infrequently.  We
need some sort of in memory cache.

I took a look at the IPC::* modules, and none of them seems so
brilliant.  Before I go diving into performance testing each of them,
I was wondering if anybody on this list had opinions about which is
the most reliable.

We need to get to <100ms for accessing the data, which for our larger
apps, is about 500KB serialized with Data::Dumper.  Deserialization is
too expensive (250ms).

We are also thinking about going with a *dbm module or perhaps
Berkeley DB.  There are about 800K rows, which is really a two-level
tree (realm, role), which is why the serialization is so compact.  I
don't know how dbm/DB work with this size of data.

So I'm looking for experience with these technologies from a
reliability (first) and performance (second) standpoint.

Thanks,
Rob