[Boulder.pm] Queue (FIFO)

Keanan Smith keanansmith at techie.com
Thu Jul 8 19:16:37 CDT 2004

Not *quite*, you can use (push and shift) or (unshift and pop) to get FIFO style behaviour

If this is your list:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

push puts a value after the 8, pop gets the 8 and removes it from the list,
shift gets the 1 and removes it from the list (moving everything up a slot), and unshift puts a new value before the 1 and shoves everything down.

a QUEUE (a FIFO list) puts things in on one side of the list and pulls things off the other side.

Which pair to use is entirely up to you, it's just a question of which end you want to call "in" and which end you want to call "out"
(Personally I like push and shift, just because I think that unshift doesn't roll off the tongue very well, but that's me. :)