[Boulder.pm] text editor wars

Jay F Kominek jkominek at miranda.org
Thu Jan 16 19:35:59 CST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 05:52:24PM -0700, Walter Pienciak wrote:
> It was bound to happen.
>
> My daughter wants emacs.  Her CU professor wants the class
> to use emacs.

CSCI1300? Thats pretty standard. As I understand it, the profs
for that course have enough trouble helping people figure out
how to use UNIX/C/etc that they don't want to have to deal with
a variety of editors, as well.

> Well, as the saying goes, "There is only one emacs, and its
> name is emacs."  No, wait a minute, there are several emacses.

gnu emacs, and xemacs are the only ones that aren't just clones,
of which I'm aware. There are other things like JEmacs, which
is some scheme/java monster with emacs key bindings, but that
doesn't count in my book.

> Opinions on the best emacs that money can['t] buy, so I can
> install it for my l'il darling?

Last I heard, they were telling students to install GNU Emacs.
Which seems to have a smaller footprint (both disk and memory)
to me. I'm not aware of anything xemacs does that a beginner
would have much reason to use.

Of the small emacs clones, I prefer jove. It has all the common key
bindings, but you can't use it as your MUA/news reader/web
broswer/gaming platform.

Also: http://wiw.org/~unslider/perllinux/aced/  :)

--
Jay Kominek <jkominek at miranda.org>