[boulder.pm] DSL in Boulder

jason.wells at ihs.com jason.wells at ihs.com
Mon Sep 16 12:51:53 CDT 2002

owner-boulder-pm-list wrote:

>I'd love to hear opinions from anyone using Qwest DSL -- particularly
latency, since I'm
>an unrecovering gamer in off hours.

I use Qwest DSL (with Dimensional as my ISP) all day every day and I've
never had any problems with the DSL line itself.  The few hiccups have been
Dimensional's problems and were resolved fairly quickly.  I've actually had
a pretty good experience with Qwest, but, like I said, I've never had a
problem that they needed to be involved with.  This is my third year with
them, so the fact that I've never had a problem should be a good sign.
>From what I've seen, most people encounter problems right at the beginning
and instantly get off in the weeds of Qwest support.  If you can make it
through that, you'll probably be fine.

As far as latency, this has also never been a problem as long as you don't
expect to use the full 256 connection.  I am a really heavy VPN user
(telnet, X-Windows, pcAnywhere, etc) and the connection has always been
reasonably quick (usually 40-60 kbps).  I used to play StarCraft with no
latency problems too, but I haven't played in a year or two.

-Jason