[boulder.pm] Perl module install problem (fwd)

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Fri Jul 26 21:56:07 CDT 2002

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:00:39 -0500 (COT)
From: John Karns <jkarns at csd.net>
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: Perl module install problem

I'm trying to install the spamassassin perl module as a locally (not
system-wide) module.  Running make test in the source dir gives an error
msg about not being able to locate a module Time::HiRes.  So I DL'd and
installed it.  "make test" for it passes ok both when run as root and
under my user id.

However, "make test" for spamassassin only succeeds when I do it as root;
my user id is not able to find / see the HiRes module.  Owner of the
module is root, and I can't see any difference in the permissions for the
HiRes module than any of the other modules.  The HiRes module is installed
in

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/Time

My user id owns all the files in the spamassassin directory.  I've noticed
that there is a HiRes.so as well as HiRes.pm.  I assume that the .pm is
what gets called when spamassassin runs as a perl script and that perhaps
the .so is used for the spamd daemon.  I'm brand new to Perl, so this may
be a very simple problem to resolve, but I have no idea what to do.
Anyone out there have some input?

"perl -V" yields:

  Compile-time options: USE_LARGE_FILES
  Built under linux
  Compiled at Jan 19 2001 05:42:10
  @INC:
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i586-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
    .

The module is installed in

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/Time

and permissions are:

-r--r--r--    1 root     root         7435 Mar 15  1999 HiRes.pm

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net