[Boulder.pm] one piece of advice

Chip Atkinson chip at rmpg.org
Mon Dec 16 21:52:26 CST 2002

That's funny that you should write that.  I was just going to write nearly
the same thing.
The biggest problem that we at work in the IT department face is chronic
under-estimation of the time required to complete a task.  There are many
symptoms/causes, but the end result is nearly always disaster.
Specifically, what's been going on is that we think something will take "4
hours" to complete.  The problems are that it's only an estimate on how
long it takes to get the first iteration on the "core" part of the task.
The other iterations are ignored, as are the steps necessary to automate
and integrate the finished core into our system, including the billing
parts.

Chip