[boulder.pm] forwarding "nonmember" bounce: client/server secure ?

rise rise at knavery.net
Mon Mar 19 13:19:23 CST 2001

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> This looks like the first solution relies on 2 web servers, one on the
> client one on the server.  There will be one on the server, but not on
> the clients.

One web server set up to answer the requests and clients that use LWP with
IO::Socket::SSL and the OpenSSL library to POST/GET the requests.

> I didn't want to go the ssh route as that will require open passwords
> in the RSA, or require the users to know the passphrase which we really
> dont want.  I've got a plan in the works for the authentication already,
> I just need to know how to do the secure sockets.

Unless you're on a central system (or small cluster) where you could start
an ssh-agent it sound like SSH just doesn't work for you.  I was thinking
of your problem as a remote monitoring situation (shows my bias :) and
that's usually a whole different kettle of fish.

> It sounds like the book is the perfect way go and probably has alot of
> other useful information I can use.

It's definitely the best reference for socket programming with perl. It
doesn't go into detail on the SSL aspect, but that's because
IO::Socket::SSL supports most of the IO::Socket::INET interface and thus
can use identical code for most purpose.  Just make sure you know what
isn't implemented.  You might also want to look at Net::Daemon::SSL so
that you don't have to reinvent the wheel for the server side.

Jonathan Conway