question on recruiters and list/group policy

Suppes, Patrick pls at bighorn.dr.lucent.com
Fri Oct 8 13:58:02 CDT 1999

I've never been in a mode where the tech recruiters were actively visible in a
tech group.  My $.02 is they are welcome, particularly if they can contribute to
the discussions related to the uses of perl, and what employers are seeking.  If
they get the floor, I suspect they will probably want to plug themselves or
their company - and I'm not too thrilled about that.  Given our size (8 or so
active members) the recruiters would probably not be a bad thing.  I would
request they not use the group time to disparage other recruiters or plug
specific openings.  (Err, maybe I should rephrase that to be advertise specific
opportunities).

Posting openings to the group? Fine. I have two caveats.  Be sure that they
recognize that posting to the group is a privilege that can be revoked, and ask
them to refrain from posting more frequently than weekly.  (Others with more
experience with obnoxious recruiters may have more to say about this).

Group sponsor?  If the sponsorship implies control or shared liabilities, I'd
pass.  If sponsorship means they are willing to help foot the bill for a meeting
or event, I'd listen.  My paranoia relates to the issues of control - I would
rather pass on the opportunities for sponsorship than have the group be told to
support specific sponsor-related interests.

Pat