Slashdot: Perl Domination in CGI Programming?

llornkcor llornkcor at llornkcor.com
Thu Nov 4 07:40:34 CST 1999

> I'm very new to Perl, and I did find it interesting, mostly because the
> prevailing views seem to run something like "Well, such-and-such languages
> work better".

There's alot of that everywhere. Some people treat programming languages as
religion or something. Its similiar to emacs vs vi., or very similiar to
politics.

>And there's a lot of different views in the articles as to
> the purpose of Perl.  It's hard to follow sometimes, like the comments one
> poster made that Perl isn't a "CGI language"--which it seems perfectly
> suited for--and that it's "weak in areas such as GUI development".  I
> don't understand the reference to GUI here.

ya, I've used Tk, and seems to be wonderful

> I feel there were a lot of good arguments here for the use of Perl for
> writing applications, just because it was necessary to come to Perl's
> defense in some cases.

As there are lots of good reasons to use other languages as well, c, c++
,cobal,  whatever, even VC++ has its merits.

> I've seen PHP mentioned in several places in these threads, but I've never

LP