Boggle results

Marty Pauley marty+belfast-pm at kasei.com
Fri Feb 7 09:52:06 CST 2003

I considered 9 entries from 5 different people:
Acme/Leon, Andrew (2), Jasper (4), Simon, and Tony.

One of Andrew's programs was a module and script combo, so it probably
broke the rules as it wouldn't run out-of-the-box.  His second entry was
just a script, but it used Data::Denter (for nothing) so it also
wouldn't run without a good kick.

Tony's entry produced no output at all, so it was disqualified.
It looked like a cut'n'paste error, so I fixed it.  It would have won.

I ran all the scripts against 2 test sets.  I also included my own
solution in the tests for comparison.

==== Testing acme.pl

real	0m21.625s
user	0m19.140s
sys	0m0.040s
Files test/out0 and acme.pl.out0 differ

real	0m22.218s
user	0m21.160s
sys	0m0.030s
Files test/out5 and acme.pl.out5 differ
====

==== Testing andrew1.pl

real	0m5.180s
user	0m5.170s
sys	0m0.010s
Files test/out0 and andrew1.pl.out0 differ

real	0m12.156s
user	0m11.690s
sys	0m0.040s
Files test/out5 and andrew1.pl.out5 differ
====

==== Testing andrew2.pl

real	0m4.868s
user	0m4.810s
sys	0m0.010s
Files test/out0 and andrew2.pl.out0 differ

real	0m10.163s
user	0m10.140s
sys	0m0.000s
Files test/out5 and andrew2.pl.out5 differ
====

==== Testing jasper1.pl

real	0m21.362s
user	0m20.200s
sys	0m0.160s

real	0m26.102s
user	0m24.610s
sys	0m0.030s
====

==== Testing jasper2.pl

real	0m16.449s
user	0m15.740s
sys	0m0.090s

real	0m20.819s
user	0m20.080s
sys	0m0.070s
====

==== Testing jasper3.pl

real	0m21.352s
user	0m20.900s
sys	0m0.020s

real	0m27.350s
user	0m26.450s
sys	0m0.070s
====

==== Testing jasper4.pl

real	0m18.677s
user	0m17.860s
sys	0m0.150s

real	0m23.109s
user	0m22.210s
sys	0m0.330s
====

==== Testing marty.pl

real	0m8.210s
user	0m7.960s
sys	0m0.010s

real	0m9.434s
user	0m9.090s
sys	0m0.020s
====

==== Testing simon.pl

real	0m0.840s
user	0m0.800s
sys	0m0.000s
Files test/out0 and simon.pl.out0 differ

real	0m1.214s
user	0m1.150s
sys	0m0.040s
Files test/out5 and simon.pl.out5 differ
====

==== Testing tony.pl

real	0m9.993s
user	0m9.720s